Stipends and Core Benefits
In addition to a competitive annual salary (currently $64k-75k, depending on PGY level):
- $12K / year housing stipend (more information on the housing stipend can be found at the UCLA GME website)
- Employer-sponsored, $0 premium, Anthem PPO insurance with low deductible, co-pays, and out of pocket maximum
- Employer-sponsored, $0 premium, Delta Dental insurance
- Employer-sponsored, $0 premium, VSP vision insurance
- $3,000 / year in meal allowance at UCLA-RR and UCLA-SM
- Additional access to Uber Eats and meal allowances while at off-site locations (VA, Olive View, CHLA, etc.)
- Fatigue mitigation services – access to free Uber rides when post-call or too tired to drive
- License Reimbursement – Medical license & renewals, Step 3, DEA
- Educational fund - $500 for PGY1 and $1000/year for PGY2+
- UCLA provided iPhones
- Uniforms – Personalized white coats and UCLA-logo Patagonia jackets
Surgery Residents may work as per diem surgeons (“moonlighting”) in the Kaiser Health System during their research years as their schedule permits. Through this opportunity research residents can receive additional financial support and continue to practice clinical skills and decision making.
More information on benefits for residents can be found at the UCLA GME homepage as well on the UCLA resident union website.