1. The UCLA Bariatric Surgery program is available to you 24/7 via our main phone number (310) 825-7163. "I/we could not reach anybody" is an unacceptable and potentially dangerous excuse. Redundant backup pathways have been implemented precisely to avoid such statements.
2. NEVER use email or website contact forms to inform us of any urgent postoperative clinical issues as it will jeopardize your life.
3. If at any point after surgery, you experience any vomiting, abdominal pains, persistent diarrhea, shortness of breath, or the like, you must present to either UCLA or your local Emergency Room immediately. You must insist that the UCLA Bariatric Surgery program to be called and the surgeon on call be talked to. Ask for the name of the MD they spoke with.
4. During the hours of 8 am to 4 pm Monday thru Friday: please call the office for any questions. If prompted, leave your name, return phone number, and reason for your call. These messages are retrieved several times during the day. Please press the # sign after each prompt or your message will not be saved.
5. If you have an urgent clinical question and your daytime call is not returned, or it is after the hours of 4PM or weekends and holidays please contact the UCLA hospital page operator at (310) 825-6301 and ask to speak to the MIS/ Bariatric surgeon on call at pager # 98020. If you do not get a reply in 30 minutes, please call again. Please note that the after-hours number is only for urgent medical conditions & emergencies. Do not use this number to call about your appointments, hospital paperwork, diet or medication questions, disability papers, or anything else that can wait until the next business day.
After surgery it is important to follow the recommended guidelines to prevent complication and ensure success. Please follow all guidelines unless otherwise specified by your Doctor.
View Our Post Bariatric Surgery Diet Guidelines (PDF) >